As Georgians continue to experience record-low temperatures this winter, Georgia Power is reminding customers that preparation and planning can help minimize the impact of the severe weather on their energy bills.
Below are five simple steps to save money and energy during this period of extreme cold, and year-round.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower and maintain a consistent temperature in the house.
- Open curtains and shades on the sunny side of your house to let the sun warm your home naturally.
- Ensure that heating vents are clear of any obstructions – such as furniture or drapes.
- Caulk or weather strip around all doors and windows.
- Insulate the steps to your attic. Heat rises and uninsulated attic steps allow warm air to escape.
Visit www.georgiapower.com for more winter weather tips, as well as instructional videos that provide step-by-step instructions for making homes more energy efficient throughout the year.